Skip to main content

I gave my daughter a durable, irrevocable power of attorney which I would like to revoke. Is it possible? How? Thanks

Los Angeles, CA |

This POA resulted in my being put in a retirement home where I am miserable and I would like to move with my sister who is willing to share with me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I suggest you consult an attorney who can review the POA and facts with you. The terms "irrevocable" and "durable" are inconsistent. I suspect that, despite your understanding, you have not given your daughter an irrevocable durable power of attorney.

In any event, POAs do not generally prevent a principal from acting on its own behalf. And, in the case of a durable power, the irrevocable nature is probably limited by the terms of the POA.

So long as you are able, you probably can take the action you have in mind without the consent of your daughter. However, in the event you and your daughter cannot work this out between you, and third parties are unwilling to allow you to act on your own behalf, a court can terminate an irrevocable POA. Good luck.

-- Michael

Michael R. Daymude, Attorney at Law
Sherman Oaks Galleria – Comerica Bank Building
15303 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 900
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403-3199
(818) 971-9409

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference



Irrevocable powers of attorney create a bond between the principal and agent that is highly customized. Usually a specified event must occur that is outlined in the document that allows for revocation of the agent and/or the agreement. If not, then both the principal and agent must agree to the revocation.

I would also recommend that you have the document reviewed by an attorney to determine if it is truly an irrevocable power of attorney. If it is determined that it is revocable, then you can change the agent and/or revoke the agreement at your discretion.

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer