I found unclaimed money from my great Grandmother. Can I claim this money if heirs are still alive?

Monroeton, PA |

She lived in Pa when she past away in 1993. But the money is in Florida. She has one son left and some grand children.

This is not a simple matter of "finders keepers." Did your Great Grandmother have an estate? What I'm wondering is whether even the person who administered the estate even knew of the money.

If it is, in fact, unclaimed money that was titled in your great grandmother's name, you should let the attorney who handled her estate know about it.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Flood and Masiuk, LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Please be advised, a number of unclaimed money scams exist. If somebody contacted you and informed you that the U.S. Treasury or Florida Treasury have unclaimed money, confirm it with them independently. You may also wish to discuss this with a Florida attorney

Stew Crawford, Jr.
CRAWFORD LAW FIRM

877-992-6311. scrawfordjr@subrolaw.us. www.crawfordlaw.org. All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. Without the benefit of a personal consultation to explore all of the facts of your legal problem, the information in this posting may be inaccurate and for that reason it should not be relied upon. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.

Joseph M. Masiuk

Joseph M. Masiuk

My colleague, Mr. Crawford, makes a terrific point. Trusting soul that I like to be, I answered your question on the premise that everything was legitimate. However, you must beware of any and all types of shenanigans designed to get you to part with YOUR money. There are more of those out there than there are legitimate unclaimed property.

If your great grandmother had a will the will controls who, if anyone, is entitled to the money, If she didn't have a will then rules of intestate succession determine who will get the money (It will likely be her son). An estate will either have to be opened or re-opened to transfer the money.