Skip to main content

I found out my husband is still married to his ex. We have split up and he is trying to claim community property. Is it legal?

Texas City, TX |

I bought my house prior to us getting married and the only thing we acquired together was a vehicle that is not paid off and in both our names. What can he possibly get from me if he is still married to his first wife?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If he is still married to his ex wife, she is not his ex wife--she is his wife. Since you are not his wife and your marriage is void under Texas law, there is no community property. However, their may be jointly owned property. Your house is your house. You each have a 1/2 separate property interest in the car. I'd sell the car and split the proceeds, if it is not upside down. Otherwise, try to buy him out of the car. If he takes the car, he will not make payments on it and the collectors will come after you. So you'll get all the pain and none of the gain.

Consult with a family lawyer who can examine your particular facts more closely.


He is not your husband because he is still the husband of someone else. Because you and he are not married there is no community property. The house that belonged to you before your purported marriage is still your house. The car belongs to both of you. I would do my best to buy out his interest and keep the car so that you know that the notes are being paid.


This gets kind of interesting. Is your marriage a common law marriage?

See Texas Family Code 6.202 which is the general rule but there is an exception - a putative spouse. IF wife did not know of husband's marriage, a putative spouse takes 1/2 of assets acquired during relationship. If wife did know of earlier marriage, wife has no rights because relationship was meretricious.

I offer free consultations and am quite familiar with family judges in Harris County and nearby counties.


Mr. Dick is licensed to practice law in Texas and office located in Harris County. His phone number is 832-207-2007 or 713-510-4500 or his email address is listed below.

Mr. Dick is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Dick strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.

Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer