Skip to main content

I found out by word of mouth that I have a assult and battery-simple from an ex I did not see or talk to that day.

Norfolk, VA |

How do I defend myself against this false accusation this woman has given to the police?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you have been charged with a criminal offense, the first step is to hire a good defense attorney. Many will give you a free consultation. If you cannot afford an attorney, talk to the courts to see if you qualify for a public defender. Do not talk to the police without an attorney present. With the help of your attorney, you can try to nail down when you are alleged to have committed the crime so that you can determine whether you have an alibi which can be supported by credible witnesses. If you have no alibi, then the next step is to request discovery in order to try to find out when and how the alleged assault took place. A bill of particulars can be requested and possibly ordered by the Judge to lay out what is alleged to have taken place. Talk to a lawyer, don't talk about the facts of the case online. Best of luck to you.

The information provided herein is intended solely for educational purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please contact a local attorney for assistance with your matter.


Hire a local criminal defense attorney and stop all communications about the facts of the case. Do not get baited into a text or email exchange with the alleged victim.

The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. Wolcott Rivers Gates disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by Wolcott Rivers Gates and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure.