Skip to main content

I forgot to declare a dismissed case in my I-485 application. They have similar question in N-400. What should I do?

North Miami Beach, FL |

In 1997 , I was charged with falsification of public doc after my father submitted a fraudulent passport application in Bogotá . The said passport was purported to make me appear as minor so they could take me on a vacation to the US . In 2001 , the case was dismissed due to lack of evidence . I was not arrested but had an unserved warrant of arrest . When I did my I - 485 , I honestly forgot about this case , much so like when you try to forget bad memories . Now , when I went threw my old files for my N - 400 , that's when I saw papers and remembered about this case . When I last went to Bogotá , I went to the city court and all records have been destroyed in a 2007 fire . There are no records of this as well in the national police . Can I simply come clean in my N - 400 , without prejudice to my green card

Avvo replaced some words in my narration. This should read as "Now, when I went through my old files ..."

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I strongly suggest you retain an experienced immigration attorney to review the certified record. It may be that it is irrelevent in your case but it may also cause a deniel of your NATZ and could result in a revokation of your LPR status.


I agree, you need to meet with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss this situation, because failing to disclose certain information may prejudice your application.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


You really need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.