Skip to main content

I filed for a uncontested divorce in mobile Alabama. I got a letter today saying that there is something wrong and papers.

Mobile, AL |

I filed for a uncontested divorce in mobile Alabama. I got a letter today saying that there is something wrong with papers, and papers missing. How do I fined out what is wrong and what papers are missing. so I can fix and file all the papers

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You'll likely need to go to court and get copies of all the documents you filed, and either file an amended petition, or a new petitioner. Did you file proper Joinder if the matter is uncontested? Be sure to hire an Alabama family law attorney!

MILESNICK LAW PLLC ® 1914 Broadway St. Vancouver, WA 98663. The materials and information available in this post and at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact Mr. Milesnick, a Vancouver attorney, directly to determine whether he can provide advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this information or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Milesnick Law PLLC and the user or browser. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.


Your letter should have stated which documents were missing. However, you really should contact a family law or divorce attorney in your area to assist you in making sure all the necessary documents are filed, are filed appropriately, and that you understand the terms and conditions of your divorce agreement, and the long term implications of what you have agreed to. I know it is tempting to try to do this on your own because lawyers can be perceived as being expensive. However, a little money now may save you much larger amounts of money later if you file something incorrectly or if changes have to be made to the agreement later on.


As someone has already stated, you should probably contact an attorney to be sure you do everything correctly if you are unsure which forms are missing and/or what is wrong with the forms that were filed. Each time you file the papers with the court you will be charged a filing fee, which is non-refundable. Using an attorney can save you from spending more than necessary on filing fees.

This information is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


You could call the Clerk of Court. However, there is a reason why you should hire a lawyer to help you with a divorce, even if it is uncontested. This will help ensure that your rights are protected and the paperwork is correct and most importantly, filed correctly to avoid an issue down the road. This also helps ensure that one party does not take advantage of the other party, in a way the party may not have knowledge of, but the attorney would.

Please be aware that this is not legal advice, but merely, an answer to guide you in the proper direction. I would need to have a consultation with you and be apprised of all facts before I could give legal advice that could be relied upon. Additionally, no attorney-client privilege has been established. In accordance with AL Rules of Professional Responsibility: "“No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.”


The Clerk of Court should assist you in informing you of what documents you are missing. You may want to consult an attorney to walk you through the steps of filing a petition for divorce.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer