I filed a contempt of court for non payment of child support. I have no council although he has retained council.

Greeley, CO |

Father advised of his rights. I was unaware he had council. Judge asked if council & I agreed to communicate in an attempt to resolve the matter & set a new court date. Case Info: father failed to pay his ordered support for 6m. He quit his job & found new employment within 8 weeks. He's aware of the order, chose to avoid the order till Child Support Enforcement filed garnishment of his wages. This is not the 1st time he has avoided his obligations. Usually upon new employment he avoids the Order waiting for garnishment. His lack of regard to help with support places hardship because we have a child with extraordinary med. Expenses not covered by insurance. My question is what should I expect to talk about or bring up & what's considered a fair agreement in matters such as this?

A fair agreement is totally subjective and is for each person to decide on their own. You are at a distinct disadvantage without an attorney. If you go to a contempt hearing, you have to establish that the child support was not paid and that he had the ability to make the payments.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Shaye Larkin

Shaye Larkin

Good response by Mr. Leroi

You are at a disadvantage dealing with a represented party because you don't know what's standard or possible. I know you're trying to figure that out here, but there are too many fact-specific aspects that simply can't be addressed in a forum post. I always tell people when they can do fine without an attorney, but that is not the case for you.

If your income is low enough, you might qualify for reduced fee or free services through www.metrovolunteerlawyers.org

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Awesome response by Mr. Tilley. His responses on Avvo have led me to respect him and learn from his responses. As such, I am now referring clients to him because he is such a good attorney.