Skip to main content

I fell for an internet scam and got charged with felony forgery and accepted a plea bargain witch convicted me of felony forgery

Toledo, OH |

I feel that my public defender did not do a good job, can i appeal, would it help. I cannot find any emploment not that i have a felony. I have a clean history and think this is very unfair.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Many of these questions depend on when you entered your guilty plea and the applicable time frames for filing a post-sentence motion or notice of appeal with the court regarding your plea and actual sentence. Seperate from that is an action to take against the publc defender who represented you regarding what you are characterizing as ineffective assistance of counsel.

First, I would contact your public defender to clearly understand what your options are. If you don't feel satisfied or want to take different action with a new attorney, consult with a local criminal defense attorney. Undoing what has already been done is not always easy.

Brian C. Jordan, Esquire is a Pennsylvania-licensed attorney only. This information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Brian C. Jordan, Esquire's response is for informational purposes only. You should consult with an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Brian C. Jordan, Esquire or Cramer, Swetz & McManus, P.C. does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege. Brian C. Jordan, Esquire only provides legal services on behalf clients after receiving a written, signed fee agreement.


Speak with your previous attorney and if that doesn't resolve the issue hire a new attorney who can file a motion to withdraw your plea. The issue with withdrawing your plea is that it is difficult to do and you need to make sure that is really what you want to do. If you successfully withdraw your plea that puts you back at square one and a trial may put you in worse position. Contact an attorney who can speak to you about your post-conviction options. Good luck.

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner


Because you plead guilty, probably under duress, you will have to withdraw your plea. An attorney can file such a pleading, but as they say "it's tough to unring a bell".

Talk to a lawyer who handles criminal appeals.

Legal disclaimer: I am not your attorney and we have no attorney/client relationship. This response is submitted for informational purposes only. This is not legal advice, nor is it intended to be taken as such. Anyone considering the above referenced response and should always consult directly with an attorney within your jurisdiction before taking any action based on this, or any other information. This information is provided without any cost and therefore is worth what you paid for it. Again this information does not create any privileged attorney/client relationship and you are cautioned about information you convey to any person in a public forum considering your case, especially if it is criminal in nature. If you would like to consult with me you may contact me at (216)316-3161. I am admitted to practice in the State of Ohio and the State of Michigan.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer