I fear my child is being emotionally, verbally and physically abused what can i do?

Asheboro, NC |

My daughter came to me her step mom and grandfather and told each of us at different times in her stay that she was scared to go back to her mothers. that her mother has hit her a few times, and mostly abuses her verbally and emotionally. Her moms boyfriend is abused also physically though he wouldn't say so as he is afraid of loosing his child they have together. He is vindictive and manipulative towards our daughter and the court system, and she has tried several times to have the courts award no contact orders etc over frivolous things (which were dismissed in court but still cost me thousands) I live in a different state than the court order and my daughter is happier and ready to start a new life here. what can i do without taking it back to NC and having to face my ex .

I would recommend you seek the advice of an attorney. If she comes back after being physically assaulted (marks or brusies) or is in fear of her personal safety to such as an extent that suffers substantial emotional distress, you may be entitled to take out a domestic violence protective order in your state on behalf of your daughter, depending upon your laws.
An attorney can tell you the age that would be appropriate for your daughter to be able to testify, and other important considerations.
Based upon your information, you may also seek to file a motion to modify custody in NC.
Again, there are several considerations so an attorney can help you figure out the best course of action in your state or in NC.

Emily C. Moore Tyler

Emily C. Moore Tyler

I agree with Mary, and would add that if you feel that the situation is extremely bad, you might want to contact Child Protective Services as well as taking out the domestic violence protective order