Skip to main content

I failed one test on my interlock device. What are the consequences in the state of NC? Can i lose my license for one fail?

Raleigh, NC |

I am required to take my vehicle to the Monitech center & have a report downloaded which i assume will be sent to the DMV within 3 days. Should I contact my lawyer for advice?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The answer to your question depends on whether total abstinence from the use of alcohol for some period of time was ordered as part of your probation. If it was not, then you have nothing to worry about. If it was, and you have violated that restriction, then yes, you should contact your attorney for advice. Good luck to you.

Fred Amos provides legal representation in Wake County, North Carolina. Any answer provided through this discussion board is a general response to the question and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to this question does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Always seek the advice of a lawyer directly to address your specific circumstances. Free consultation and flexible payment plans for DWI's. Call 919-803-7208.


Yes, if you already have a lawyer, by all means speak with them about this. Interlock devices are not foolproof and there may be an innocent explanation for the device reading as failed.

No answer here should be considered to form an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction so that a full evaluation of the facts of your case can be conducted.


If you already have an attorney, I would advise to call the attorney. You will probably be told that you will need to wait and see what Monitech determines but it is always advised that you give your attorney a heads up.

Call Trial Attorney Dustin RT Sullivan at (910) 508-2200 or visit us at to find out more.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer