Skip to main content

I entered the Usa from Canada 16 years ago met my partner and never left. We are about to get married and live in California

Santa Rosa, CA |

What documents do I need for him to sponsor me for a green card after we marry? Thank You

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Marriage certificate. Hopefully, your partner is a U.S. citizen. If so, he will need his birth certificate, or if he is a naturalized citizen, his Certificate of Naturalization.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Congratulations on your wedding. You will need documents establishing your eligibility for LPR status, any immigration related documents, passports, birth certificate, your spouse's birth certificate and spouse's evidence of U.S. citizenship, if you have children, their birth certificates, certified copies of your marriage certificate, any divorce decree, if any, supporting evidence of your relationship, i.e., pictures, utility bills or official documents showing that you two live together.

The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice.

Posted has this information which is structured depending on whether the partner is a citizen. Talking it through with an immigration attorney would be best.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


There are some threshold issues that should be dealt with first. I would consult with an immigration attorney and make sure you know exactly what you are getting into and to avoid any potential negative consequences.

Thomas J. Baker
Law Office of Daniel M. Wigon
Bay Area Immigration Attorney

Law Office of Daniel M. Wigon - 916-447-8975. This should not be taken as legal advice. Consult with a local attorney before making a decision that could adversely affect your rights.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer