Skip to main content

I enter in usa on a visiting visa and applied for the permitent residence

Minneapolis, MN |

My husband is american born and daughter is american citizen i applied the perminent residence but got denied because of the less income i donnt do any job i have not done any crime just a stay at home mom.its been 4 years i m here now embassy gave me 5 years visiting visa.what can i do now to become legall

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


If you are in the US, you need to see an attorney. If your previous application was denied due to insufficient funds to sponsor you , your husband has to find a joint sponsor.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova


Apply for residency again, based on your husband's approved I-130, and if your household income is not sufficient, find a willing co-sponsor who can file an affidavit of support.


I agree with Ms. Shautsova - it is best to have an attorney look over your case.


You can seek to adjust your status here in the US. Your husband or your daughter, if she is at least 21 years old, should petition you. If your husband's (or daughter's) income is not enough, you need to find someone to be a joint sponsor.

You should seriously consider hiring an immigration attorney to do the work for you.


There are certain types of questions that can be simply answered on Avvo, while there are others that require considerably more analysis. For this particular question, you need to provide additional details concerning the specifics of your situation.You owe it to yourself to contact a lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


I agree with my colleagues. Your income is not important here. Your husband who was your petitioner was also your sponsor and his income counts not yours. If he does not have enough income you can use another person's income together with your husband. Since you already have an approved I-130 now is time to file a new I-485 with the correct documents and sponsors.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer