Skip to main content

I don't have the money for a lawyer. How can I get my wife to pay for my lawyer. She makes 4 times as much as me

Orange, CA |

I want to know my rights and what I'm entitled to asset wise

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can file a motion for attorneys fees under Family Code section 2030. This is a very common motion and in many cases, where there is a true disparity in income and assets, the motion will be granted. Many family law attorneys will either accept your case and bring the motion for you, or will assist you in making the motion so that you get an order that provides the funds to hire them. Whether you can win the motion will depend on the particular circumstances of your case, however. I recommend that you consult with one or more certified family law specialists for more advice and guidance. You can find a list of certified specialists in your area by searching the California State Bar's website (

Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or services to on or behalf of any person or any entity. Usage of the Avvo website is not intended to and shall not create any obligation or relationship between the user and the Law Office of Herb Fox, including but not limited to, an attorney-client relationship. Further, the communications on this website between you and the Law Office of Herb Fox may not be privileged or confidential. Finally, your situation may be governed by deadlines that may or may not have already lapsed, and you may lose your rights if you do or did not act within those deadlines.


I agree with Attorney Fox.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


File a motion for fees under Family Code 2030.