Skip to main content

I don't have insurance, Can I be recompensed for injuries, damages done to my vehicle in an accident that I was not liable for?

Los Angeles, CA |
Attorney answers 3


Yes, you are entitled to recover for your medical treatment expenses. Your personal property loss (i.e. your car and other personal property) and your out of pocket costs. You are not entitled to Pain and suffering because of Prop 103 which precludes uninsured drivers from recovery of non-economic damages. However, if the driver that caused the accident was driving under the influence and is convicted of DUI, then you may be entitled to ask for punitive damages. Best of luck.

Si, Ud. puede recobrar todos sus gastos y costos médicos. También puede recobrar por sus bienes personales ( SU carro y otros bienes de uso personal) y gastos de su bolsillo. Ud. no podrá recobrar por su sufrimiento y dolor debido a que la Proposición No. 103 no permite recobro por daños no-económicos. Sin embargo si su accidente fue causado por un chofer enebriado y éste es encontrado culpable de manejar en ese estado, entonces UD. podrá recobrar por daños punitivos. Buena suerte.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


Essentially everything but pain & suffering.


I agree with my colleagues that you can claim property damage and seek recovery of your past and future medical bills and wages, but wanted to define "noneconomic damages" and "pain and suffering" so you know the difference between the damages mentioned. Generally, non-economic damages are damages that are not quantified by bills, records or tangible documents. Pain and suffering is a type of noneconomic damage that is commonly used in personal injury cases (auto accidents) to compensate an injured party for the physical and emotional distress that was caused by a negligent party. I always explain pain and suffering as your claim for all of the stress that you had to undergo as a result of this (accident, etc.). Just wanted to clarify this for you (even though you are precluded from claiming pain and suffering) so you can get a better gauge of what it is you are actually entitled to recover. Best of luck to you.

The above information does not constitute legal advice and does not form the basis of an attorney-client relationship. Lisa M. Blasser, Esq. and Blasser Law do not represent you and are not responsible for any actions or inactions that you decide to pursue in lieu of the above information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer