Skip to main content

I did work as an independent contractor for a company that went bankrupt. They still owe me money. Do I have any recourse?

Trumbull, CT |

I did work as an editor and am owed money. The publisher has decided to shut down the magazine. Is there any way to get the money I'm owed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If the magazine went through liquidation bankruptcy and you were notified of the proceedings you may not have any recourse. If you were not notified of the proceedings, or if it was a reorganization bankruptcy then you may be able to recover something although probably not the full amount.


You need to file a proof of claim in the bankruptcy case. Depending on the type of plan, you may or may not get a distribution. Go to the bankruptcy courthouse in the town the bankruptcy was filed in for assistance in filing a claim.

Mr. Larkin is licensed to practice law in CA and is located in San Diego. His response here does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Larkin strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about the specifics of their case.