Skip to main content

I did not file taxes in 2010 because i was not elegible for tax return (f-1). i got my green card in 2012 and would like to spon

Elkhart, IN |
Attorney answers 5


Whether you need a co-sponsor depends on whether your income is enough to meet the requirements for the affidavit of support.

The Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit has stated that "Many courts have recognized that 'our immigration statutory framework is notoriously complex'" and that it is "ever changing"

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Talk to an immigration attorney in person. In general only most recent year taxes are asked for.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Best to speak with an immigration lawyer on this


What about 20111 and 2012 tax returns? USCIS only needs the 2012 tax return and the amounts from 2010 and 20111. In depends on your 2012 income whether you need a co-sponsor but even with co-sponsor that doesn't not eliminate the need for your tax information. Check with a tax attorney or accountant or whether you should have filed in 2010 and 2011 and 2012.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


Everyone should file taxes unless exempt from filing. So if you think that you fit in this provision you should be OK. Please consult an attorney o determine whether it is the right time for you to file for your husband' greencard. Best Wishes!

Lalita Haran
(317) 660-6174

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.