Skip to main content

I cut my finger off to the second knuckle have to have the rest of it removed all the way to the wrist.what amount of settlement

Beckley, WV |
Attorney answers 7


I've changed the categories for your question so you get more responses, but it is impossible to answer this, with a set amount or a range. Too many factors. You say you cut it off, so first question is there any third party who is negligent, like a manufacturer of whatever device did the cutting? Or was this during employment and is instead a workers' comp case? If there is a third party responsible, there are questions of degree of responsibility (i.e., any comparative negligence by yourself), and insurance coverage available. There are issues about your occupational assessment, i.e. how much will the loss of one finger impair you in your work life, which is a very individualized analysis dependent on your education, training and career. If this was the fault of another party, device manufacturer or employer, go see a local personal injury attorney. If this resulted from your own act or negligence, there is likely no claim for compensation.

To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state (in WV, on inactive status as of 9/13), I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.


The wrist is a long way from the second knuckle. There's a whole hand in between!

You don't give us enough facts. A personal injury case (assuming the party was injured severely enough to warrant bringing suit) requires the negligence of someone who owes you a duty but breached that duty, and caused your damages. You simply describe an injury--that's the damages part--but you don't tell us how it happened, how it is the fault of someone other than you, and how the negligence of that person caused your injury. Nor do you tell us what degree of your own fault is involved. This is all information a lawyer would need before exercising his or her professional judgment in advising you about whether you have a case at all, and if you do, what its value is.

Not legal advice as I don't practice law in West Virginia. It's just my two cents on the few facts you describe (or don't describe) in light of general principles of law. Consult West Virginia counsel to obtain legal advice. I practice in Vermont ONLY.


A few facts would be helpful. If this happened at work, have a local workers compensation lawyer investigate. If not, have a local personal injury lawyer investigate.


First, you say you cut your finger off, but the facts you post don't indicate why anyone else would be liable for what occurred and be responsible for paying the "settlement" you refer to. Setting that aside, folks often post questions on this forum asking what a fair settlement is for a personal injury matter. Unfortunately, no attorney is going to be able to give you a substantive answer without reviewing all of the circumstances, medical records, etc. You need to consult with a personal injury attorney to assist you. Personal injury attorneys typically handle cases on a contingency fee basis and give free consultations. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find one in your area. Best of luck to you...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. . That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


Unfortunately, you have presented us with totally insufficient information.. Is this a workers compensation claim? I suggest you retain an attorney to represent your interests, regardless of the type of claim it might be. Your attorney will be in a position to guide you and advise you.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


This is impossible to answer based on the information you've provided. If you do not have an attorney, see one as soon as possible. If you do have an attorney, ask he/she these questions.

My answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not constitute legal advice or establish any attorney-client relationship.


Every case is different. It will depend on multiple factors, including past medical bills, future medical bills, pain and suffering, past lost wages, loss of wage earning capacity (if applicable) and other related damages. Also, sometimes it depends on the venue (i.e. where the trial would take place, jury make up, etc...) Short answer, every case is different.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer