Skip to main content

I currently have a TN visa. What is the best way to get to greencard from this position?

San Jose, CA |

I have heard of H1, and TN direct to greencard methods. Can someone provide advice/potentially handle my case?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


TN is a nonimmigrant work status (not even a "visa") that, unlike an H-1B or L-1, where "dual intent" is not recognized or permitted (Canadian NAFTA negotiators are to blame for this). TN has no "direct" route to permanent residence. An employer needs to file fr PERM on your behalf.

Need to hire local immigration counsel to guide you with this and handle your case.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


A TN visa can be converted to a H1B visa and this can lead to greencard depending on the circumstances.


Change to H-1B next year and be petitioned by an employer for a green card.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Have employer file for H1B and then petition for you for LPR.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104