I currently attend Woodward Day School. I got expelled from my other school and want to know if I can go on school grounds?

Worcester, MA |

I smoked marijuana in the bathroom. It was EXTREMELY dumb, I understand that. But of course I was the only one out of 4 who got caught. That's not what I'm focusing on though. I would like to know that, since i got expelled, if I am allowed to go to school events? Like soccer games or basketball games or things of that sort? Maybe an attorney from Worcester knows the answer to this? My teacher at my new school told me I could get charged for trespassing but I know students who go back to their home school after being expelled. I don't know i thought I'd just try out this website. Please don't tell me how stupid I am for doing that I have had enough of that from everyone I know!!

Best Answer

If I am correct, Woodward is a private school, but you do not specify whether the school which expelled you is also a private school. If it is a private school, you have far fewer rights and I suspect that your presence on the grounds would cause that school to call the police. If the expelling is a public school, I wonder whether you exercised or were told about your rights to appeal an expulsion. If you were on an IEP, you would have even more rights.

If this incident happened not in the recent past and you do not have a "No Trespass" order that has been served on you, you might chance attending outdoor events like soccer, especially if you keep a low profile. Indoor events might be more tricky as your presence might be noticed. If there is no "No Trespass" order in place, the public school might ask you to leave or might call the police to escort you off the grounds. You should not be charged with a trespass violation, but if the police escort you off grounds, I think you will soon be served with a "No Trespass" order which if violated could result in criminal charges.

You should consider the amount of time that has transpired since your expulsion, as well as how important it is for you to attend these events. You should consider also requesting permission from the expelling school to attend these events, only.

I regret your expulsion especially since marijuana possession of less than one ounce is a civil, not criminal violation and schools should not be expelling children for this violation. The law specifies no negative consequences under other laws, for small amounts possession. This is true despite the opinion of the Commissioner of the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.

Thank you so much. This is really going to help me out. The school I was expelled from was not private nor public, it was a charter school. Does that make a difference in anything that was just explained? And I had my mother call my old school to ask if I was allowed just to make sure, and the head principal told her that I am not welcome to come to the school, because there was another student that got expelled from that school and went on school grounds and then something happened at the school which involved the police. So he doesn't want me there I guess, because of that other student. But I have never been told about a "No Trespass" order before so I don't really know what to do.

Oh and Woodward Day is not a private school, it's kind of a dinky little alternative school.

Sam Schoenfeld

Sam Schoenfeld

A charter school is a public school. You now have notice that your former school does not want you on the grounds. Even though there is no "No Trespass" order in place, it appears that the school would contact the police if you were present. For this reason, I think it makes sense for you to stay off the radar and to stay off school grounds. Note that if you were expelled from a public school, no public school district in MA is required to allow you to enroll. If Woodward is indeed a public school, you should use this opportunity to show the school district that you can conform your behavior to reasonable rules imposed by public schools. You may then be allowed to re-enroll in a "regular" public school.

Oh, alright that makes sense. I'll see what I can do about that! But do you think you could explain to me something else that happened with my old school? Recently this boy who is a senior had dropped a bag of shrooms in front of the principals office. He got caught obviously, but only got suspended from the school. So I don't know, I just thought maybe shrooms were at least expulsion worthy..I'm just confused because what I did seems to be AT LEAST equal to what that boy did. But I guess not.. Would you happen to know anything of this topic?

Sam Schoenfeld

Sam Schoenfeld

I know plenty about these topics but I have few facts and, more importantly, it is unwise to continue this discussion on a public website. If you and your parents are interested, please call me to set up a consultation.

This is not a legal issues.

Send a nice respectful letter to the principal at the former school expressing your remorse for the conduct that got you expelled and acknowledging that you do not have a "right" to attend events there, but asking with respect if s/he would be willing to allow you to attend events there on condition that you pledge to be follow ALL the rules and regulations of appropriate behavior. This is an opportunity for persuasion.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

No you may not go back. You should ask your parents to read the letter that they or you received explaining the expulsion. The fact that you even asked the question shows that you are thinking about your actions. Woodard is the public school in Worcester that Worcester sends it's expelled students to - it's not a private school. (To clarify the other answer).

You are not precluded from sending the superintendent a letter requesting readmission at some point - I am assuming you didn't appeal the expulsion during the ten day time frame that is provided by law. If you can show that you have attended some type of drug rehabilitation program and are clean you may have a chance for next year. Good luck.

Actually we did try to appeal the final expulsion. But that only resulted in my head principal letting me finish taking my finals, since it happened in late June. And they know I have been to Adcare, we brought in all my records.

And I already know I am not allowed back at my old school, they have a no return policy thing. I'm just asking if I am allowed to go to school events after school hours or just to see my old friends.