I can't pay my fines unless I have my license, but I cannot get my license without paying the fines. Am I simply screwed?

Phoenix, AZ |

I have $8000 in fines from 2008 that I haven't been able to pay without my license, which was suspended. Tickets are for no insurance, expired reg., and 1 driving under suspension. No DUI, no accidents. I have been offered a position with a company that would pay enough to pay my fines, with a little time, but the position requires a driver's license. There is no possible way that I could pay these fines without this job. Isn't there some sort of restricted license I could get, so that I could pay these fines? I mean, without the license, the courts will come up empty handed, because I just won't be able to pay. It seems reasonable to me, but I believe that unless I have a DUI, there's no hope for me. Is that true?

No. It is not true. There may be hope for you, but you will need to strike an agreement with the court and probably DMV.

The court may be able to setup a payment plan.

Give me a call for a free consultation.

Good luck!

Scott A. Mac Leod is licensed to practice law in Arizona. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

Get somebody to drive you to the court, and meet with the fines manager to ask for a payment plan. It helps if you have some money to start paying towards the fine, and bring documentation to show that you are being kept from a job which would help you pay the fines. In every case, be professional and polite, you are asking for their help.

-- Michael Kielsky
Counselor & Attorney at Law
Kielsky Rike PLLC
Tel.: +1.480.626.5415
FAX: +1.480.626.5543
4635 S. Lakeshore Dr.
Tempe, AZ 85282
Email: Michael@KRazLaw.com
Web: www.KRazLaw.com

Legal Notice & Disclaimer: http://KRazLaw.com/disclaimer

This answer is a general statement of law, did not and could not consider all details of your situation, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship. If you found this answer helpful, please click the "thumbs-up" button below this answer.