Skip to main content

I can't get my SSN because of the shutdown, can i work with my Employment Authorization Card alone?

Houston, TX |

Hi, i got my Employment Authorization Card in the mail yesterday afternoon. I was about to go over to the local SS office here in Houston to apply for my SSN when i read online that processing new SSN applications falls under the list of items they DONT do while in the current shutdown. my question is, can i find a job and work using my Employment Authorization Card Alone? My Employment Authorization Card is connected to my AOS case, which i have an interview for with my Wife next week. There are no terms nor conditions stated on my Employment card.


+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Yes, you can accept work with your Employment Authorization Card. In essence, you have been granted authority to obtain work legally. This shutdown will hopefully end soon, and when it does, I urge you to go to SS office and follow through with getting your social security card.

Rengin Bekhtyar's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship.



The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.


Yes, absolutely.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Yes. You are authorized to accept employment.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654,, The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.


Yes allowed to work.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer