Skip to main content

I came to US on a J-1 visa. I did the change of status to an F-1. What are my options if I fall out of status and I want to....

New York, NY |

I came to US on a J-1 visa. I did the change of status to an F-1. Last semester due to financial problems I couldn't finish the semester. My International Advisor at my school said she would have to cancel my papers. However, I solved my money problems and would like to reapply for a new semester. My I-20 is valid until Jun 2014. Will I be able to apply even though I had to stay one semester out? What are my options? Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You can apply for reinstatement. Talk to the school's advisor.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.


If your advisor terminated your status, you need to file for reinstatement.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


You risk losing your F-1 status if you do not continue your studies as intended. Do discuss that with your school international students advisor as missing a semester may render you out of status. For other legal immigration options I suggest a reputable immigration attorney to review all your alternatives.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


Theses are all questions that need to be directed to your international student advisor at the school where you will enroll.

The information you obtain in this response is for general knowledge. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. I invite you to contact me and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting me, nor my responding to the question, creates an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to me until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


I agree with my colleagues - talk to your International Student Advisor as soon as possible.

This information is provided as a courtesy based upon the limited information provided in your post and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer