Skip to main content

I broke my foot at a city park, can i make the city pay my bills???

Dallas, TX |

okay i was sliding and i broke my foot i felt like it got stuck in something, i cant walk now my foots broken and i have to pay to go see the doctor,. i have some pictures of the slide and its pretty old, my question is can i suit the city?? .. sorry for my grammar..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Consult with a local personal injury attorney. suing a government entity is tricky and you will need help. Do this as asap and do not make any statements until you speak to a lawyer.


Possibly, however, since it is a government entity there is a very short period of time for you to file the claim. I would immediately consult with a personal injury attorney in your area to evaluate your claim Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


Suing the city is difficult. There are strict guidelines to sue a governmental entity. Unless you can prove negligence you will not have a claim. You should discuss with a local attorney.

All responses on this site by this attorney are considered practical & general and does not constitute absolute or final legal advice. It is always best to consult a lawyer in your area on your exact case/claim. Each state has different laws, statutes of limitations and regulations. This lawyer is only licensed in the State of Texas. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of GREGG S. HARRISON, PLLC, nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Office of GREGG S. HARRISON PLLC. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. GREGG HARRISON. Visit our website at or call 832-797-7600 to discuss your legal issue; We represent injured persons who have been involved in motor vehicle collisions, 18-wheeler/truck wrecks and motorcycle accidents; all types of general negligence and catastrophic injury claims.


Consult an attorney ASAP as suing a governmental entity requires following specific procedures. From the facts given though I don't see any liability as it appears to be an unavoidable accident.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


There are short notice requirements for suing a city, thus, call one of the above personal injury lawyers in your state immediately to investigate.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


You should consult an attorney to make sure, but it is likely that suit is barred by the doctrine of sovereign immunity, which is a fancy legal way of saying you can't sue the government without its permission.

That means unless there is a law stating that lawsuit is permitted under the circumstances you described, you cannot sue (if you do file suit, it would just be dismissed).

In Texas, the law that governs this is called the Texas Tort Claims Act. An experienced attorney can go over the facts and let you know if your case fits into one of the exceptions allowing for a suit to proceed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer