Skip to main content

I bought services from an online gaming site. I have been scammed by them and would like my money back? How do I approach this?

Port Angeles, WA |

I bought an account from an online gaming site. They state on their site that if the account is recovered by the original owner (that sold it to the site) they are responsible for getting it back. they also have in their refund policy that I am entitled to a full refund if I am not satisfied with my purchase. I have lost 3 accounts to this site and they are only offering me partial refund. Can I open up a law suit on this company for false advertising and internet scamming?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Not sure I understand the facts entirely, but assuming this is online gaming and not gambling, buying the accounts likely violates the Terms of Service of the respective accounts. A lawsuit might be possible but likely not worth it unless you are out a significant amount of money.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society.



It is an for an online gaming site, that may violate the terms for the game but this is a totally different site. I paid this company and they have taken my money.

Jonathan H Levy

Jonathan H Levy


Assuming not a lot of money is involved you can try the Better Business Bureau, dispute the charge on PayPal or your credit card, or even let the vendor know your are goign to complain to their ISP that they not only are scamming people but selling a product that is of questionnable legality. if you paid more than $5000, it may be worthwhile to contact a firm like ours that deals in Internet matters. Jonathan Levy


It's hard to give a reliable answer from the factual description you have posted, but it sounds like there may be a breach of contract claim at issue (and potentially other claims). However, just because you have a potential claim, doesn't make it a wise decision to file a lawsuit. Lawsuits can (and usually do) get very expensive very fast. If you want to pursue any potential claim, the first thing you should do is consult with an experienced attorney so that they can provide advice based on a full understanding of the facts.

I am an attorney, but I am not YOUR attorney. By providing free, generalized information, I am not entering into an attorney/client relationship with you, nor am I providing legal advice applicable to your particular needs.


This is an area that I have some experience in -- I've gone after several websites that have done this exact same thing with online character/account sales. It depends on the site; it also depends on where the owner is. I'd be happy to discuss further with you directly.

The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Dan's expertise lies in the electronic entertainment (video game) industry, as well as complex internet law issues, electronic free speech, entertainment law, copyright and trademark law, and computer fraud. He primarily represents game developers and founders of emergent internet technologies.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer