Skip to main content

I bought a used car 6 months ago. Is there any way i can return it voluntarily instead of it getting repossessed?

Olympia, WA |

I might not be able to pay it anymore.

+ Read More

Filed under: Credit Used cars
Attorney answers 3


Talk with the dealer and the lender, maybe try and sell the car. Repossession will cost you in the long run and maybe you can refinance with someone else would could set the rates a little better for you. If you do turn in the car make sure you have a deal in writing that accounts for your payments and the costs of resale.
Good Luck

Only If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes


You can often arrange to return a vehicle which saves the lender a large sum of money BUT it is still a big black mark on your credit rating. Perhaps, you can negotiate this as well.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


I think you should use both approaches suggested by my colleagues. It is generally worthwhile to ask the creditor to cut you some slack and not report to the agencies. The fact that you are willing to try to find a solution rather than making them the costly and frustrating process of attempting collection and then repossession ought to be worth something.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer