I bought 10 acres in a forest area. Can I make a out house the old fashioned way?

Graham, WA |

The property is in a forest area and is pretty dense in growth. I would like to use it daily but there is no bathroom or shower. Can I dig a hole and put a toilet over it with a shower stall next to it? I dug down and found the clay table is 28 inches down. If I can how big a hole and what else is acceptable to be ok with our State and Society. Thank you all wonderful attorneys for answering my 100 plus questions

Best Answer

First, contact your local building department to see if an out house is acceptable within the local building codes. Besides local restrictions, if you are in or near a forest, federal jurisdiction may come in to play as well. Make sure you check with all government agencies who have regulating authority. If an out house doesn't work for them, have them consider a port-o-potty with a makeshift shower as another option.
If you don't get a permit the government can claim environmental harm and impose substantial fines and onerous mitigation measures.

Wow....doesnt this sound like a communist country? When you buy a car you are entitled to do anything you want to it, Then when you buy land....it seems you dont own it at all and the paper pushers sittin in these State Jobs.....seem to play the "Know it all game" when their sittin there stupid as all heck to know even common sense. If you look at the issue in tri cities where the Hanford issue is a big money funnel in clean up.....or WOOPS ... and those same workers handed out all those permits for it to get done. What a big slap in the face for being a citizen.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

You wouldn't be able to by most land (such as you have described) in a communist country as it’s owned by the State and the collective. That is, unless you were part of the ruling class elites. Sounds like a country with laws designed to protect citizens from the fall out that would inevitability result if everyone did what they wanted, however they wanted. For example--an entire city sickened because someone failed to properly determine if their privy drained into a watershed or underground aquifer. Good thing to avoid, eh.

Timothy V. Kassouni

Timothy V. Kassouni

I understand pulling permits with the right government agencies can often seem burdensome to property owners. One only needs to look to recent Pacific Legal Foundation cases like Sackett or Koontz, and to Kassouni Law's recent Lockaway case to see how Constitutional Property Rights can get trampled upon (see links below). It's also important to keep in mind that the building department and various other governmental planning agencies were initially established to protect the "health, safety, and welfare" of United States citizens. The United States is still a democracy and it's our very important duty as citizens to stand in defense of our Constitutional rights when they are in jeopardy. Here at Kassouni Law we still believe the U.S. is the best country on earth. It is this steadfast belief which allows us to stand vigilant in the protection of private citizens' Constitutional property rights. http://www.pacificlegal.org/Sackett http://blog.pacificlegal.org/tag/koontz/ http://blog.pacificlegal.org/2013/former-plf-attorney-scores-remarkable-regulatory-takings-victory-in-lockaway-storage-v-county-of-alameda/

You say that you stand up for the way America is but you as well as many others have accepted defeat and let the government trample over our rights. You say to protect the public. Really. Does making it so the energy companies as well as fuel companies have to hike their costs up to make the public stress a safe thing to do? Look at the increase of the shootings, suicides, theft has took a big hike as well as the tools powered through copper wire as well as other. You think this sharade is helping the public? No it is not. And those people in the legislature who go against the public votes to create more funds to their big fat slush fund is protecting america? If you look at the Bridge that fell on I-5 in Washington.....the video shows that thing just fell ....and it was tagged. But it was ignored by ...who? our government so they can work on something else. Really Mr Kassouni.....that was a nice speach.....but what is real is real. Our government cares only about investments (Narrows Bridge, toll that should have been paid off by now) as well as others. If you look at our history here in Washinbton....those really spiffy government officials dolled out millions of dollars and accepted millions for permits to build the WOOPS as well as other. We need a big fat house cleaning. Make it so a person who becomes a judge or of office or other can only stay 4 years and that is when the job is over. Period. Pay stops and so on. America has suffered enough from the abuse of those greedy old people that have been in there for years. The only one I am really proud of is Clinton. Because he got america out of debt and found 74 trillion bucks of over spent tax money. NO one really got the answer how that overpayment actually happened. But at least he paid off the deficit and gave some of it to the public. I will review your blogs. I read case law too. I receive case law on all decisions made from the COA to the Supreme decisions. I read those and some times I get sick because......those idiots support the wrong persons. Those decisions were not made intelligently...they were made to support their faces in public so they can walk and smile.

Unfortunately in most areas of Washington a pit toilet is not permitted for residential use - only in wilderness camping areas. To know your exact rights I suggest contacting the Pierce County Health District concerning their regulations. If you plan to go ahead and do this regardless of the health regulations, then you need to be cautious about sharing too much specific information about the property location with the County when you contact them.

Great answer. Great reasoning. Now we need exact answers like these. To explain it so its understood and the penalties if you do it and blab it to everyone. Kinda like Clinton said....."I didnt inhale...". I still think the dude was a pot head.

I agree with the previous answers and there are composting toilets and on-site sanitary disposal systems. but what you described will not be acceptable. However you rent a port-a-potty or an old trailer with systems and use that while you are getting settled.
Good Luck

If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Please be sure to indicate the best answer Only If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes

Good job Alexander. Great answer. I like this one too. The word composting was good. Now think of this......if you cant afford permits for this and that and you have the materials and friends to build something.....how can we get that done? Is there a way to waive the fees? I know there is a way to waive court fees by filing a motion of poperous. However you spell it. lol

Shawn B Alexander

Shawn B Alexander

The county will have to waive fees and still inspect the work, and I am not sure about Pierce County. Good Luck