Skip to main content

I been with my bf 3yrs. He renews his status yearly. What is the process I need to do to want to marry?

San Antonio, TX |

He is now 25yrs old and renews his status yearly. He is from Honduras. Do I have to go through a specific process since I'm a citizen and he is not since he is not a citizen?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Yes htere is a process and extensive forms oyu need ot complete ot sponsor him for a green card including a petition for alien relative, adjustment of status application, affidavit of support, travel permit and work authorization. Consult an attorney to assist you.


It's not clear from your question, but, based on what you wrote, perhaps your boyfriend has Temporary Protected Status (TPS). If that is the case, then he might need a waiver of inadmissibility.

You really need to consult with an immigration attorney about your case, in order to have the best chance of success, and to avoid problems that you might not be aware of.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


There is a process and much depends on your boyfriend's status. You should consult with an attorney to determine the best course of action for the two of you.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


I agree with attorney Carlin.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


There is a process and it's truly best if you touch base with a qualified immigration attorney about your case. They will be able to answer your questions on his current status as well as advise you the best path to proceed following your marriage.
All the best,

The answer above is a general response and should not be taken as binding legal advice. You should contact an immigration attorney to fully address every issue of your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer