Skip to main content

I been in a car wreck. It was the other partys fault. I do not know what to do. Im scared to keep going to the dr because i am

Tifton, GA |

afraid that the other person insurance may not be enough to cover all of my medical expenses. but i do want to make sure that i am well. also, the accident was in February 2012. i still have bad mental pictures about the accident especially when i drive and sometimes at night when i sleep.

if that other person insurance is not enought, can they use mine even though it is not my fault. ? or do i not get compensated for pain and suffering? miss time off from work? or what? what do i need to do.. I want what is rightfully mine inclusing any compensataion that is due including pain and suffering.. PLEASE HELP!!-- and i do have health insurance..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


Sounds like you should get a local personal injury attorney ASAP. They will be able to answer these questions fully once they know all aspects of your claim, such as policy limits for the wrong doer’s insurance as well as yours, your injuries and permanency, if any, and your total medical bills. There are many things that will go into a personal injury claim and it would be best to have it handled by an attorney.

Randy Sevenish is licensed to practice law in the State of Indiana. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship. Please speak with a local attorney to discuss your potential legal issue.


You need to consult with an injury attorney now. Continuing to wait could be detrimental to your claim. You are fortunate to have health insurance and should probably continue using it to get treatment. An experienced injury attorney can also provide you with guidance on how your health insurance will correspond with this injury claim. Generally speaking, you will continue to do the treatment necessary through your own health insurance, then consider reimbursing the health insurer at the conclusion of your claim.

As for the liability coverage available, the minimum limits required in Georgia are $25,000 per person and $50,000 total per accident. Only an experienced injury attorney with more information on your injuries and medical expenses can help you determine whether there is enough liability coverage to cover your claim. An attorney can also help determine whether you have additional coverage through the uninsured/underinsured portion of your own auto policy.

Please note the longer you wait to consult with and hire an attorney, the more difficult it may become to resolve your case. Feel free to contact me at (770) 427-5498 if you have any questions.


Consult with a local personal injury attorney in your area. Many personal injury attorneys offer free consultations. Avvo has an attorney directory titled "Find an Attorney". This is a great place to find a personal injury attorney in your area.


Your first priority is your health. If you have medical payments coverage on your own auto insurance, you should use it first to pay your medical bills. If you have health insurance use it when your medical payments benefits have been exhausted or if you do not have medical payments coverage on your auto insurance. If the other party's insurance is not enough to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering you may be able to look to your own insurance coverage if you have uninsured or underinsured motorists coverage. These are questions any good personal injury attorney can answer.

The above is just my opinion based upon the limited facts provided. It is not intended to be offered as legal advice nor is it intended to establish an attorney client relationship. You should seek a consultation either in person or over the phone to discuss any legal issue that you may have raised.


You have received good advice above, if you are afraid speak with a personal injury attorney. We will seek out what insurance coverage is available and attempt to deal with your case based upon what is found.

If the other driver has insurance coverage as stated above the minimum limits in Georgia currently are $25,000.00 per person and no more than $50,000.00 per accident if more than one person is injured. Not knowing the coverage you have to assume if there is coverage it is the minimum until you are able to get an attorney involved. You also may have optional coverage called uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, an attorney will help you investigate and determine what coverage you may have.

Regardless, your health should be your primary concern as you will want to recover as completely as you can to move forward with your life. Contact a personal injury attorney today.

If you would like to discuss your claim I am happy to speak with you 770-948-5454.

I wish you luck in your recovery.


This response is for general information only, no attorney client privilege has been established by this communication.


Every day that you wait to hire a lawyer and each time you talk to the adjuster you lose value in your claim. You also lose each time you delay treatment, as the insurer uses that as evidence you are not hurt. You need to go back to the doctor and you need to see a lawyer immediately.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


The previous answers highlight the very real danger of attempting to navigate this process alone. You are the victim of another driver's negligence, and may suffer additionally due to the at-fault driver's insurance company taking advantage of your inexperience handling personal injury claims. I highly recommend speaking with a personal injury attorney who can negotiate your claim(s) with the insurance companies and also make sure you receive the medical treatment you need. I would be happy to speak with you. I can arrange for you to be treated by some of the best medical providers in Georgia with no upfront costs to you. Even with insurance medical treatment can be prohibitively expensive. Please feel free to call my office.


Aaron Marks
Aaron Marks, Esq.
The Marks Law Group, LLC
103 W. Dearborn Circle
Decatur, GA 30030
404-939-1485 (ph)
404-581-5902 (fx)

ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED; DO NOT FORWARD OR DISCLOSE WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION. Communications from attorneys and their employees are confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed without the sender's express permission. There is no intent on the part of the sender to waive any privilege, including the attorney-client privilege, that may attach to this communication. Further, anything you believe to be tax advice in this communication, including attachments, cannot be used to avoid penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, nor does it promote, market, or recommend any transaction or tax-related matter. The Marks Law Group does not give tax advice.


Take a deep breath.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You need an attorney to determine the limit of the at-fault driver's insurance. In Georgia, the minimum limit is $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident. It could be higher, based on the person's coverage.
If the at-fault driver's coverage is not enough to cover your damages, you can use Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM) Coverage to provide additional coverage to your claim. The default rule in Georgia is that every insured has UM coverage limits equal to the liability limits in their policy, unless you have rejected it. You need an attorney to find out if you have UM to cover the claim. You may also have Medical Payments coverage on your policy which could pay for portions of your medical bills.
We are located in Savannah, Georgia, feel free to give us a call. 912-401-8880.

This answer is not intended to be legal advice. This answer is general in nature and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to create an attorney-client relationship you should contact an attorney and formally discuss the specifics of your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer