Skip to main content

I been here 20 years illegally what can i do to become a legal citizen?

Provo, UT |

i was brought to this country 20 years a go from Mexico by my parents . i have done all my schooling , paid taxes and have a clean record . i wan to know if there's any way to become a legal citizen ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Unfortunately million are in a similar position. Unless we have more facts, it will be hard to answer your question. It will be good if you could get a consultation with an immigration lawyer.

Good Luck
Shah Peerally
Founder and Managing Attorney of Shah Peerally Law Group PC
The Law Firm Deals in Immigration law & Debt Relief
Note: The above answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer or a fee agreement is signed by the attorney and the client.


It's always best to obtain a complete consulation from an immigration attorney to have your situation properly assessed. If you cannot afford an attorney, you may check with your local bar association or American Immigration Lawyers Association for a listing of pro bono (free) legal services.

That being said, right now the hope is that there will be comprehensive immigration reform next year that will provide a path to citizenship for undocumented individuals. Also, there is a popular legislation called the DREAM Act that will hopefully be passed with comprehensive immgration reform or as a stand alone law. The law, if passed, may provide minors such as yourself with a remedy. To qualify for this regulation, applicants must have come to the U.S. before they turned 16, be under the age of 30, have lived in the U.S. for at least five years, graduated from high school or passed an equivalency exam, have "good moral character" and either attend college or enlist in the military for two years.

It's important to stress that the DREAM Act is not currently the law; it is a proposed legislation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer