Skip to main content

I applied for the Deferred Action and got my Employment Authorization Card . I have no SSN , may i get an IL license ?

Lansing, IL |

I haven't received my SSN yet , but i might be getting it soon . May i still have enough proof to obtain a driver's license in Illinois ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Check with the Illinois DMV for specific requirements

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


A SSN is not sent to you as part of DACA approval, you need to take your Employment Authorization to the Social Security office and request it.

As far as the documents required for a driver's license, please see the attached link from the Illinois Secretary of State. Good luck! - 312.641.0771 - The information above is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between us. It is intended simply as background material, is current only as of its indicated date, and may not include important details and special rules that could be applicable to your case. You should consult an attorney directly before acting or refraining from action.


Depends on the requirements set by the State of Illinois for driver's licenses. Check the Department of Motor Vehicles for Illinois. Good luck!
Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


Possibly, since you can get a license in Illinois even with no status, but you may wish to get a proper license with the social security number.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


You may take your EAD to the Social Security office in order to receive a number. After you do that you should have no issues applying for a license in Illinois.