Skip to main content

I applied for a passport only to discover my name is mispelled on my birth certificate. It's spelled Joice rather than Joyce,

Chicago, IL |

as it is on all my legal papers including SS. Can this prevent me from getting my passport?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Most all officials require absolute match in name to application.


Go back to the Passport Agency and have them correct the spelling. You don't want to have any issues when you eventually travel abroad.


Use the spelling on your birth certificate for your passport application. Once you obtain your passport, you can look into getting a corrected birth certificate or simply use the spelling on your birth certificate for all future legal applications. That spelling is actually rather unique and creative.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.