Skip to main content

I am wondering whether there will be any legal ramifications if I quit my job without giving the 4 weeks notice specified.

New York, NY |

Contract says I am at - will, but then follows to say that I agree to give 4 weeks notice. I will note that the contract says I am entitled to a health plan (was going to receive when I relocated, but never relocated - however the contract does not say this, we just discussed via phone) and an iPad (never received).

*Health plan never received, forgot to add.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Generally, employment at will means that a person is free to quit at any time or may be released at any time, without reason. In that you have a contract of employment, with certain specifications in it, so that you have a full understanding of the ramifications of quitting your job without thre requried notice, it would be in your best intrest to have the contract reviewed by legal counsel.

William J. Lasko
Attorney at Law
482 Summer Street, 2nd fl.
Stamford, Conn. 06901
tel 203 329-6602

William J. Lasko is an experienced New York, Connecticut and Washington, D. C., licensed attorney who focuses his practice primarily on employment law, personal injury and estate matters. Mr. Lasko, has been in practice for more than 23 years, represents clients throughout New York, Connecticut and Washington, D. C.. More information is available at This response is for general informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. Additionally, this response does not create an attorney client relationship.


You'll likely get a poor or neutral reference, but other than that there are no ramifications.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


Aside from a poor reference, it is unlikely that you will experience legal consequences unless you work in an industry which specifically requires and contracts for long notice periods for resignation.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook ( if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.