Skip to main content

I am U.S Citizen sponsoring my husband in another country. Can I use my savings to file for affidavit of support

White Plains, NY |

I am unable to work due to a chronic illness. I have a couple of co-sponsors

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


As the petitioner, you are required to file an I-864. You may declare your savings as a way to try to show sufficient income / assets. If you do not meet the financial requirements, then you need one joint sponsor who will be able to meet the requirements. Please note that you cannot have several joint sponsors to "add up" their incomes. You should consult with an immigration attorney to have the best chance of success.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


The standard to meet is 125% of poverty level.


Yes. You take our income figure and subtract it from the income vis a vis household size as listed on the I-864. The ldiffernce you will get you remember. Now, your savings must be 5 times that number.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.