Skip to main content

I am U.S. citizen me and I want to bring my mother to live here with me .. What is the required papers .. How long does it take

Santa Clara, CA |

which is now on a visit in the United States do vary paperwork noting that it will leave in May

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can file all the paperwork needed for adjustment of status of an immediate relative.

Please contact our office if you need assistance.



If you are at least 21 years old and if your mother is outside the United States, you need to first petition for a nonimmigrant visa for her by filing a Form I-130 and submitting the necessary fee and documents in support of your petition. If your petition is approved, you will be notified, and your mother will be asked to go to the U.S. consulate designated by you in the I-130 petition to complete her visa processing. This includes completing other forms, visiting approved physicians for tests, and submitting additional documents. You will also need to submit an affidavit of support -Form I-864 - and documents in its support. For further information, see,

Disclaimer: Please understand that by answering your question a client-attorney relationship has not been created between us. My answer should not be relied on, because it is incomplete, and because each case is fact specific. I cannot evaluate your case without consulting with you and reviewing all relevant facts concerning your case.


While your mother is still on a visit to the United States you can file Application for Adjustment of status. If she is outside the US you will have to file Petition for Alien relative. All things being equal it takes less than a year. Get a Lawyer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer