Skip to main content

I am trying to find out if Superior Courts in Los Angeles allow written depositions of non-party witnesses.

Los Angeles, CA |

I am being sued in Los Angels by plaintiff (pro per) who lives in northern California. I need to depose some non-party witnesses who work(ed) with plaintiff but they all work/reside in northern California. I cannot afford time-wise, nor cost-wise, to travel to northern California to depose these witnesses. I came across written depositions, but I cannot seem to find very much information on how to go about doing a written deposition. Where can I find the codes and statutes regarding using written depositions in a Los Angeles Superior Court case?

+ Read More

Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes
Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

Yes. See CA Code of Civil Procedure sections 2028.010 through 2028.080.

Just keep in mind that written depositions are rarely used because they are not very effective.

Moreover, if your case is a limited jurisdiction case (as opposed to an unlimited jurisdiction case), you are restricted to taking only ONE oral or written deposition, per Code of Civil Procedure section 94, subdivision (b).

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.


Your best resource for this info is "Civil Procedure Before Trial" published by Rutter as a California Practice Guide. The law library will have it. It is useful and understandable.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer