I am tired of complaining to the landlord about the rats and roaches in the apartment and nothing is being done. What can I do ?

Irvington, NJ |

My door bell has not been working for 18 months.

You don't mention if you live in a private home, an apartment building or public housing. You can complaint to the health dept. in Irvington or hire an exterminator and then deduct the amount from your rent (but you should give notice to the landlord. If there are any health effects (like a rat biting a child for instance), then you may have a suit for personal injury. Usually there is a claim for a warranty of habitability, if the apt. becomes uninhabitable for such reasons, the process is go to court and claim damages against your rent.
Easiest first step is call health or building dept. in your city, and also make sure you keep copies of any written complaints you made. Also take pictures if you can.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.

I live in an apartment small apartment building owned by Khubani Enterprises, Inc

I am extremely tired of the rats and roaches they are taking over the humans in the building. They are in everything.

when i purchase Raid and Combat they go away for about a week and then come right back.

It is not healthy to live like this. I am tired of complaining.

I just want them gone from my belongings; as I said they are everywhere and in everything.

I agree with counsel. This is a habitability issue and must be set up properly. Send the LL notice pursuant to the lease and give him time to remedy the situation. If he does nothing or inadequately remedies the situation, withold the rent and escrow it.

1) call the health department about the roaches and rats; 2) before you can deduct from your rent send your letter written notice concerning the condition to your LL. If you do not give your LL written notice you CANNOT deduct. Yes, there is a warrant of habilitabilty, but first you must give written notice.