Skip to main content

I am still legally married and my ex moved out of state. Am I allowed to move out of state with our kids?

Warren, OH |

We were married 10 years and he walked out on us in 2011 and left me with 2 kids in Ohio . In 2012 he moved to Iowa . I still reside in Ohio with my finance who I had a child with . There are no papers of any kind filed towards our divorce . I am wanting to move back to Washington with my two kids where I have family from .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If there are no court orders then there is no restriction on your moving. You may want to consult with an attorney before leaving to determine if you should file for child support here in Ohio. Ultimately you will want to get your marriage terminated so that you can get married to your fiance. I am not sure of your timing but you may want to check with an attorney in Washington state to determine their residency requirements.

Good Luck.


Unless their is an order stopping you from doing it you can move. I suggest getting everything in order by filing and getting divorced before moving. That saves you from him filing and beating you to court. Good luck.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
Beavercreek, Ohio
(937)510-6110 phone

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer