Skip to main content

I am seventeen years old and pregnant i was curious of what i am emancipated from?

Columbus, GA |

I am about 6 weeks far in my pregnancy and I am due on Oct.10.2014

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You're not emancipated by being pregnant. In fact, if you went to court and sought emancipation, a child's preganancy would be a strong argument against emancipation. Hopefully your parents are assisting you, and, after the child is born, make sure you file a child support case against the father.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Counsel offers you excellent advice, the age of majority in GA is 18 and your current situation will not help you emancipate. Best of Luck to you.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


Under Georgia law, emancipation can only arise under the terms of OCGA § 19–7–1. You are still under the control of your parents until one of certain events occurs, such as your parents failing to provide necessaries for you. In that event, your parents would likely find themselves in Juvenile Court in connection with a dependency petition.

You are going to need a lot of support. Speak to your parents. Speak with your minister. Speak to an individual therapist. Speak to a child specialist about how to gain the tools you are going to need to parent your child in a way that will give him or her the childhood that you have too quickly discarded - and how to give your baby every opportunity to thrive as he or she grows and matures. Take parenting classes. Learn how to be the kind of mother your child will want to emulate when he or she becomes a parent. Speak to an attorney about pursuing child support from the child's father. Best to you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as nor does it constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Do not rely on this answer in prosecuting or defending against any criminal or civil legal action. Speak to an attorney in your area about how to protect yourself and your interests.


Nothing. Being pregnant doesn't give you any new rights or freedoms. That happens at 18, pregnant or not.

Did someone (like maybe the baby's father) tell you otherwise?