Skip to main content

I am separated from my husband and have no income. We have a house together as well as a car.I need to know what my next step is

Pitman, NJ |

Married for almost 5 years-4 year old son- I cannot afford the house but he is keeping it. I am a co signer on the car but cannot afford it

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Next step is to hire an attorney and file for divorce, if that is what you want.

Legal disclaimer: In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.


As has been previously said on topics of this level of importance .... some questions here can be quickly, easily, and accurately answered. Others cry out for getting a professional legal opinion and a formal consultation with an attorney who specializes in Family Law. You're in that second category. -... skipping a consult is the very definition of being "penny wise / pound foolish."

You have the right to child support (assuming the child is with you), probably to term alimony, and to some share of the marital assets (and debts) if there are any. This is really way too sensitive a question to post here - you need a consult. Many attorneys offer a free one and can explain all your rights and options, including getting a retainer "from him" by tapping marital assets subject to distribution.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.



actually these days all attorneys want a consultation fee! I've tried, anywhere from $50 to $565! just about no one consults free! my last one told me he couldn't take the case so I said thank you and was going to leave but he said wait so I did thinking he was going to have an associate take the case because he started talking about them, then he changed subjects back to himself and bragged about how wonderful he was. when he was done after more than a half hour, I asked again is his firm taking the case then for me? he said no and I owe him for the consultation and wanted $265 for the half hour he talked about himself!!!! I wasn't allowed to leave with my documents I brought till he got his money!


The assets obtained during your marriage belong to both of you, not just him. You need to consult with an attorney to learn of your rights.


You should speak to an attorney so that you and the attorney can plan for your husband to pay support for you and your child.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer