Skip to main content

I am selling my home. I have signed the contract to an investor. He never put dn the earnest money. Is the contract invalid now

Renton, WA |

He keeps promising me that he will find me another place to live..but? I say to him "How can you promise me that? I am 69 years old and do not want to go thru this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

If the earnest money was supposed to be deposited or paid within a certain time period and it wasn't, it is likely that the contract is invalid now. To be sure, you should have the contract reviewed by a real estate attorney or real estate broker if you cannot afford an attorney.

This information does not create an attorney-client relationship nor does it constitute legal advice. Evaluate this information and independently decide how to proceed. Consult an attorney who practices in the county in question.


You really need to talk to a local real estate attorney now. The fact that he hasn't made his required earnest money deposit is a default, but not likely to be an automatic cancelation of the contract. Check Avvo for a real estate attorney in your local area and call them now.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER HELPFUL PLEASE MARK IT SO. The answers provided by R. Russell O’Rourke, Attorney-at-Law as a free informational service only. Without thoroughly reviewing your case neither I nor any other attorney can give you a complete answer upon which you could or should rely. Your reading of this or any of my answers does not create an attorney client relationship between us. Legal cases are often very fact specific and need a qualified attorney to properly review ALL of your materials and fully discuss your case with you before you decide the right course of action to take. YOU SHOULD CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN PERSON who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


You have the right to immediately demand adequate assurance, and it sounds as though you have a more complicated agreement than just sale of your home. I agree with the other attorney that recommended you consult with legal counsel.

Without knowing all of the details, reviewing documents, and interviewing witnesses, no person should assume that this Answer constitutes specific legal advice for any specific legal situation. No attorney-client relationship is created by posting general legal responses on this site.