Skip to main content

I am seeking an employment attorney. Wondering what the fees are and do you work off commission without retainer.

Quincy, MA |

My employer put me on notice 2/21/14 sales were down. I explained biz in our area down. He then put me on notice 3/5/14 to perform goals by April 7th. I completed the goals. On April 7th he was telling me to get biz cards, etc then on April 9th wanted to review goals. At that time he was upset because he had not seen a letter from my mental health practitioner I left in his inbox on march 28th and gave to hr on 3/28 for my employee file. I reviewed all the goals I did achieve what he asked and then some. On April 14th he let me go. Do I have a case for mental health discrimination because my doc wrote about my learning disability as well as the stress and duress this has caused an increase in since 2/21/14.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There are attorneys that handle employment discrimination claims on a contingency basis and others that handle them on an hourly basis and require a retainer. You should look for a lawyer who handles employment cases in your area by using AVVO's Find A Lawyer area. An attorney should be willing to sit with you for an initial consultation for no charge and explore the facts in further depth than you provided here. One thing that jumps out at me is whether or not you previously disclosed that you had any condition that required reasonable accomodation. From the looks of it, you were able to complete the goals so it doesn't appear that you needed an accomodation from your employer. Check with an attorney soon as the time to file a claim is subject to a fairly strict statute of limitations. Best of luck.

The Massachusetts Rules of Professional Conduct require that Ken DeMoura's AVVO attorney-profile and any response or information provided by Ken DeMoura on the AVVO website be labeled ADVERTISING. This is not a solicitation for legal business. The information provided here is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship is created between the reader and Ken DeMoura or DeMoura|Smith LLP through this information, response or profile. An attorney-client relationship will only be created when Ken DeMoura and DeMoura|Smith LLP agrees to an engagement in a written and signed engagment letter.


It's hard to say without considerably more detail. You should talk to an employment attorney; if you google "mass nela" you will find a group of attorneys who represent employees.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.


You should contact an employment attorney in your area for a consultation. Different offices offer different compensation options. Some require payment per hour or charge a flat fee and probably require a retainer. Other attorneys will take cases on a contingency basis, meaning payment would be dependent on the outcome of your case.

You can search for an attorney on Avvo or contact the Massachusetts Employment Lawyers Association or Massachusetts Bar Association for a referral.

Good luck.

This answer is provided for guidance only. DO NOT rely on it as legal advice. We DO NOT have an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney in your area for a one-on-one consultation before pursuing any action or making any decisions.