Skip to main content

I am running against the statute of limitations. I was hit by a drunk driver. How do I find representation urgently?

San Antonio, TX |

The case is straightforward - I got hit by a drunk driver and this was witnessed by a police officer. The driver has insurance.

I would like to recover all my costs and an additional amount for the pain and suffering. All documents are ready. I have not hired an attorney or filed a claim until how. I would like to do so, but it would have to be immediately as the statute of limitation runs out next week.

How can I find representation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


As much as I'd love to believe it, cases are never "straightforward," especially when they are this close to the statute of limitations.

If you already have your medical and billing records, as well as a copy of your police report, you will probably be able to find a lawyer in time. If not, it could be difficult. If you are unable to find a lawyer in time, you might consider filing a lawsuit yourself to simply preserve the statute of limitations while you look for a lawyer.

If you have the documents I mentioned, you are free to call me for an evaluation. I can't promise anything, but I'll take a look.


You need to call an attorney as soon as possible. Just search for a lawyer on Avvo. If you need to file immediately please do not hesitate to contact us or add a comment

Know YOUR Rights. Take Action Now. CALL 855-648-4695. Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. Mr. Crockett is licensed in Texas in Illinois only.


Thank you for your question. Have you made demands on the insurance company? Have they fixed your car? How much in medical bills? Do you have a police report?


Filing alone won't preserve your claim if you don't exercise due diligence in getting individual served. I concur with Daniel, nothing is ever straight forward. Consult with an attorney ASAP. You can end up prejudicing your case if you don't know what you are doing.


You need to hire a lawyer quickly to file suit on your behalf. You can find a lawyer on the Internet, or maybe you have a friend who is a lawyer who can point you in the right direction.


If you want to find an attorney in your area here on AVVO you can select "Find a Lawyer" at the top of the page. Good luck.


Contact one of the above lawyers in your state to investigate


I suggest you immediately hire an attorney who is board certified in personal injury trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. As indicated by one of my colleagues, you not only have to file suit within 2 years of the date of the wreck, you also are required to show due diligence in serving the Defendant. DWI cases can be very good cases in the right personal injury attorney's hands. If you want to discuss any issues, please call us for a free consultation unless you have already retained an attorney. Thanks and have a great day.

By providing this legal analysis of the issue presented, no attorney/client relationship is being formed. Additionally, attorney is not agreeing to represent the individual who presented the question concerning the legal issue. A signed retainer agreement is required before an attorney /client relationship is established. The analysis provided is meant solely to provide general guidance about the legal issue presented.


pick up a phone and call one in the avvo directory. Or visit some lawyers websites and pick one you like to call.

All information provided here is for educational use only and does not constitute legal advice nor establish any attorney-client relationship. Paul H. Cannon is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas. Laws vary from State-to-State. For legal advice and opinions, please retain the services of a lawyer licensed to practice in the appropriate state or jurisdiction.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer