Skip to main content

I am running a music entertainment label. What kind of lawyer writes up contracts for me hiring professional performers.

Tacoma, WA |

I live in tacoma, wa. I want to put on events and hire singers/musicians to come perform, but I need a lawyer to write up contracts to protect us. Where should I look and who should I hire?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Ed Pierson in Seattle. He's one of the best music lawyers in the business.

This post does not create an attorney-client relationship between my firm and the asker. In all events, the asker is well advised to secure advice from an attorney with experience in the area covered by the question asked. This answer is posted for general purposes only.


An entertainment attorney is a good place to start.


Hire an entertainment lawyer who is familiar with that particular segment of the industry. There is an AVVO directory where you can find lawyers. Or, if there's nobody in your area in the directory, see if you can get a local referral.

If my answer was helpful to you, I would appreciate if you would mark it either "helpful" or "best answer" if you feel that applies, as AVVO gives us rating points based on feedback. Thank you! Please note that the above answer is not to be construed as legal advice. It is my personal opinion based on your question, and it was given without obtaining the detailed information that I would normally request in order to render comprehensive legal advice. I advise you to consult with a local attorney of your choosing to obtain specific legal advice. The fact that I answered your question does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me.


An entertainment lawyer, or any intellectual property attorney with copyright/music experience should be able to assist you. Pierce County Bar Association or King County Bar Association provide good databases of attorneys in the field. Good luck!

This response is only general information and is not legal advice. It does not form an attorney-client relationship and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. You should seek a qualified attorney before taking any action related to your inquiry.


The contracts that you require are not terribly complicated. Shoot calls to some of the entertainment attorneys in the greater Seattle are and go with you feel most comfortable with. Feel free to give me a call as well; I would be happy to discuss it with you.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.


Any competent music attorney could draft such agreements for you.

As far as selecting an entertainment attorney, I recently wrote a magazine article for a Los Angeles music business magazine ("Music Connection") on just that topic. "Hiring an Entertainment Attorney—Some Insider Tips" You can find it online at
Good luck.

The above is not intended as legal advice and does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship, as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication. Furthermore, the attorney's answer above is intended to be general information only, and there may be facts not contained in the question which could change the answer, so the answer above should not be relied upon without first obtaining legal advice from your own attorney.