Skip to main content

I am relocating to Europe - My landord tells me that he cannot send the refund deposit check overseas. Is it true?

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ |

How will I get my refund without a US address?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I know of no basis to refuse to return a security deposit to a former tenant based on their location. Did he provide a basis for this contention? Did he cite to a certain lease provision?

My comments on your inquiry are based on the limited information provided. If you have any additional information which you feel could impact my understanding of your situation, please feel free to provide. Nothing in my comment, including the comment itself, constitutes an attorney-client relationship. This is an informal advice forum for general informational purposes only.


Simply put, your landlord is either badly misinformed, or just full of the smelly, brown stuff.

The foregoing is not legal advice, and nothing in the foregoing shall be deemed to create an attorney client relationship. If you feel you need to speak with an attorney regarding your issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney with expertise in your area of inquiry. The information related above is purely for informational purposes, and should not be acted upon without speaking with qualified counsel familiar with you specific situation and the laws related thereto.


Mail from the U.S. makes its way to Europe every day. I can't see why a letter from your landlord would have special difficulties.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer