Skip to main content

I am pro se plaintiff in a civil case relative to personal injury

Troy, NY |

Can a Judge force a plaintiff to submit a note of issue and certificate of readiness when the plaintiff has not received verified responses from defendant and the Judge insist by letter/order that the defendant is in compliance with CPLR 3123? In sharp contrast, the only documents submitted to the plaintiff and the court were signed by the defendant’s attorney in violation of CPLR 3123 which requires a sworn statement from the party and not from the attorney. By plaintiff signing the certificate of readiness, plaintiff will be committing perjury in representing that the case is trial ready and that all discovery devices have been completed and therefore is reluctant to sign off.

What CPLR is available to the Judge to force plaintiff to sign off, under oath the certificate of readiness?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Judge controls calendar. End of story.


Did you make a motion to compel the discovery undet cplr 3124? Did the judge say you received all the discovery you are entitled to? If yes all you can do is seek permission from the appellate court to appeal but you need an ordet that resulted from a motion. The judge can issue a certification ordet whether you sign or not. If this is a case a lawyer would take that is what you need.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


You are in over your head. You need a lawyer.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.


Get an attorney. It is difficult being pro se and not knowing the law or the procedure. You have posted numerous questions and obviously need professional assistance.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


It appears that you are way over your head here. If you are looking for compliance with CPLR 3123, you served a notice to admit. If the person did not respond to your notice to admit within 20 days, everything is deemed admitted. if you served other demands that were not responded to, serve a motion pursuant to CPLR 3126 and 3124 to strike his Answer.

As for the Court forcing you to file the Note of Issue, depending on the Court, if you do not file the Note of Issue on time the court will mark your matter as disposed. My advice is make the motion to strike the answer and request that your time to file the Note of Issue be extended.

Consult with a local attorney as well!

This response will not create an attorney-client relationship.


Don't play lawyer, retain one.


Simply because one can read procedures and get forms does not mean they can represent themselves in complex litigation even though every one has a right to do so. You are betting that you can "save" the attorney's fee if you win, and may lose your case entirely instead. Get some legal representation.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer