Skip to main content

I am planning to apply for US citizenship for my children via my mother, who was a naturalised US citizen (now deceased).

Baltimore, MD |

I am a US citizen but have not lived here long enough to transmit. My question is whether I need to produce a birth certificate for my mother? I don't have one, and it may prove difficult to get a copy from her country of birth.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I'd say you need to consult with an attorney as to the timeline and your children's eligibility for citizenship.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:


You will need to prove that your mother meets all the requirements.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.