Skip to main content

I am out of state, but my case is in TX. How do I get a look at the forms book for Harris County if I don't have access to the

Houston, TX |

law library? In my contested divorce (husband's adultery) I have already filed a counter-petition to his original petition, and a request for documents which he only partially supplied answers to. (after the 30 days) Can I use my original request for Production of Documents to subsequently file a Motion to Compel the request for Production of Documents on/to him, or do I need a different, generalized or specialized form to file a Motion to Compel Production on/to him? Where would I get a form like that where it would apply specifically to my case? And can an attorney ask me for a Financial Info Statement as required by Rule 4.4.2 of the Local Rules for District Courts. Provide me with a blank form. Then respond "..diligent search Pet. is unable to identify any responsive doc." ?

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. I wish I could hire an attorney. However, I do not have the funds to do so. How much do you think it would cost to hire an attorney to "only to feed you the forms."?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


A lot of questions...
First - it will be hard to get a TX family law form book out of state. It will also be hard for you to do a lot of this out of state, as you are finding out trying to get the financial statement form. You should really consider hiring an attorney in Houston to serve as your agent on the ground. Plus, they already know how to practice law. There is no free form book I know of online. And I would be hesitant to use forms you find online since I have been hired numerous times to fix errors those online forms caused.

Second - You need a Motion to Compel, which is different than the production documents. You also have to get a hearing set and probably show up for the hearing if your husband and his attorney refuse to comply. Again, if you had a lawyer here, they could do the form and show up for you. Each Motion has to be drafted with the specific case in mind, so without knowing more, I would have to suggest you find the TX version of a motion to compel, then draft it with your case in mind.

Third - you might try the Harris County Court website. They might have the financial form online. Otherwise, again, hiring a lawyer is going to pay off now and in the long run.

Good luck - I would heavily suggest hiring someone in Houston, if only to feed you the forms. It's an investment in your portion of the division of the marital estate and in the outcome of your case.

Disclaimer: This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming any attorney-client relationship.

Avvo divorce email series

Sign up to receive a 10-part series of useful information and legal advice about the divorce process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer