Skip to main content

I am on withholding of removal that was granted by the judge. Can I travel to Puerto rico ?

Miami, FL |

Is travelling to Puerto rico considered as ' leaving US " , can I travel between US mainland and Puerto rico while I am on withholding of removal ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Although PR is technically the US, it isn't a good idea to travel if all you have is withholding.

Talk to your lawyer.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Yes you can travel. DL is all that is required to travel there. However, if a plane is derailed to some other airport for maintenance or something you will have a hard time. Just keep it in mind.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.



(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Yes, you can travel to PR. No visa or passport is needed to travel to Puerto Rico from the USA. It is considered a domestic flight.

Occasionally, one may encounter Customs and Border Protection officers who may inquire as to whether you are a citizen. If this should happen, be prepared to show documents that you have legal presence in the U.S. But, because it is very rare, there is little need to be overly concerned.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer