Skip to main content

I am on summary probation but cannot do community service due to health problems . Can I pay a fine in lieu community service ?

Chatsworth, CA |

I have 300 hours to do . I am the caretaker of my elderly mother and have power of attorney on her behalf. I have severe heart disease as well as I am partially crippled due to siatica

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It depends. If the community service was part of your sentence as a form of jail time, no. If it was instead of paying a fine, then almost certainly yes. Don't delay in addressing this. Put your case on calendar and try to get an extension from the judge. Prepare to bring proof of the things preventing you from doing the community service. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen


I agree with my colleague. You MUST get this matter on calendar and speak to judge about modifying it.

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777


Possibly, but as mentioned before you can't wait any further. You must get on this now. A knowledgeable attorney may help in this matter. I suggest contacting your previous attorney and let them know what you are trying to do so they are there when you walk into the court room. Good luck.
for Fairness / for Your Freedom
(800) 409-7010

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.