Skip to main content

I am on probation for DWI. I had been drinking, out walking and someone called the cops who drove me home. Will my PO find out?

Saint Paul, MN |
Attorney answers 4


Possibly. Here are a few things to think about. Do your probation terms prohibit you from drinking? Did you admit to the cops that you'd be drinking? Were you tested for alcohol that night? Did the cops appear to run your info, such as with your driver's license? If you had an attorney on he DUI, you may want to give them a call to get their opinion. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen


It is entirely possible. Totally up the police officer who drove you home. If he/she simply drove you home and said nothing more about it, then I would guess you are safe. Usually, if the officer was planning to turn you in, he/she would have inquired about what you had been doing that evening to see if you would admit to drinking.


First, whether or not you violated probationary conditions would depend on the conditions imposed.

Second, if you did violate those conditions, it is likely to be reported by law enforcement to the probation officer. Once that occurs, you may admit or deny the violation; seek a hearing on the violation; and/or present the court with arguments elated to possible repercussions. You should retain counsel for any probation violation.

CALL 612-240-8005 for a Consultation. Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at


Hello. No one can tell you with certainty whether or not you will be reported to your PO. In the event you face repercussions, you ought immediately to contact a private attorney for assistance. In the interim, if you had violated the terms and conditions of your probation, you should take great pains to do whatever it takes not to have any further violations. If you find you can't stop drinking on your own, get to A.A. and ask someone with long term sobriety to sponsor you and follow that person's suggestions to you. Should you seek an attorney: Some attorneys, myself included, are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys, myself included, will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq., Criminal Law, DWI-DUI Law, Rule 14 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster Mediator, Parenting Time Expeditor, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666 EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR until 8 p.m. daily. See

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer